Source: NDIS Act 2013
Reasonable and necessary supports
The general supports that will be provided, and the reasonable and necessary supports that will be funded, must satisfy all of the following in relation to the funding or provision of each support:
- the support will assist the participant to pursue the goals, objectives and aspirations included in the participant’s statement of goals and aspirations;
- the support will assist the participant to undertake activities, so as to facilitate the participant’s social and economic participation;
- the support represents value for money in that the costs of the support are reasonable, relative to both the benefits achieved and the cost of alternative support;
- the support will be, or is likely to be, effective and beneficial for the participant, having regard to current good practice;
- the funding or provision of the support takes account of what it is reasonable to expect families, carers, informal networks and the community to provide;
- the support is most appropriately funded or provided through the National Disability Insurance Scheme, and is not more appropriately funded or provided through other general systems of service delivery or support services offered by a person, agency or body, or systems of service delivery or support services offered:
- as part of a universal service obligation; or
- in accordance with reasonable adjustments required under a law dealing with discrimination on the basis of disability.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme rules referred to in subsection (1) may relate to how to take into account:
- lump sum compensation payments that specifically include an amount for the cost of supports;
- lump sum compensation payments that do not specifically include an amount for the cost of supports;
- periodic compensation payments that the CEO is satisfied include an amount for the cost of supports.
The National Disability Insurance Scheme rules referred to in subsection (1) may relate to how to take into account amounts that a participant or prospective participant did not receive by way of a compensation payment because he or she entered into an agreement to give up his or her right to compensation.