Source: Deciding Reasonable and Necessary does someone else provide support


Is the work or study support funded or provided by someone else?

We might not be able to fund all the supports you need for work or study. Some supports you need for your disability might not be our responsibility to fund and may be better funded or provided through:

  • mainstream services
  • Disability Employment Services or JobAccess
  • Department of Education, Skills and Employment
  • other government departments, like your state or territory government
  • your school, TAFE or university
  • your business or employer.


Under the law, the place you work or study is responsible for providing you with a safe place to work or study. They should make changes to remove any barriers that stop you from being able to work or study at that place. This is to help you to take part in education, or do your work, on the same basis as someone without a disability. These responsibilities are called ‘reasonable adjustments’.

Reasonable adjustments include support and changes that will help you:

  • do your work tasks safely
  • have the same opportunity to get a job, develop in your job and get promoted
  • be treated fairly at work
    do your job as well as you can.
  • The Australian Human Rights Commission has more information.


We can’t fund supports that should be provided by your employer, school, university or training provider under reasonable adjustment.

We can help you work out where to get the help you need. Talk to your Support Coordinator, Local Area Coordinator (LAC) or planner for more information.

Do we expect friends, family or the community to provide this support?

We think about whether we would usually expect family, friends or others in the community to provide the kind of supports you need.

This includes thinking about the different supports that would usually be provided by family and friends at different ages. For example, we might expect a parent to help a small child get settled at the start of the school day but this would not usually be the case for an older child at high school, or an adult at TAFE or university.

We generally expect families to provide their primary or secondary school aged children general help with homework, or getting to and from school. This is the same for all children, even if they don’t have a disability.

We don’t expect family or friends to provide personal care in the workplace or at school, because this isn’t something people would usually do. More information about personal care in the workplace is available here What work supports do we fund?

Source: What work or study supports do we fund while you are school 


You might need different work or study supports at different times in your life. For example, you might start thinking about work as you reach working age, during or at the end of school. We can fund different supports for your work and study now and in the future.

A great starting point for information about work is our booklet Let’s Talk About Work .

What can we fund when you’re at school?

We can fund extra support you need at school due to your disability. These are supports that are not primarily related to your education and learning and beyond what the school is responsible for.

What does the school fund?

Your school will fund anything that is part of your education and learning. They must also provide reasonable adjustment for your disability.

For example, the school is responsible for making adjustments or changes to your study resources so that information is provided in a way that you will understand.

They are also responsible for making sure you can get into and around your school.

The school should also make sure you have the same opportunities as other students to fully participate in class and other school activities.

What can we fund?

We can fund special training for your teachers about your individual disability support needs. We can also fund other supports you need due to your disability.

You might see personal care in school included in your plan. This is for things like helping you go to the toilet, eating or drinking. These supports are funded differently and you don’t need to pay for them out of your plan. We refer to this as ‘in-kind’. Learn more about personal care in schools .

We might be able to fund transport to and from school if you can’t catch the bus because of your disability, or if we wouldn’t expect your family to take you. Student transport is funded through in-kind arrangements and provided by your state or territory government.

This arrangement will remain in place until 2023, and we are working with other governments on how school transport supports will work after this date. You don’t need to pay for transport costs out of your plan. Your pre-paid transport supports will appear on your plan to show that you get that support. Learn more about school transport .

Even though you are at school, you might want help to find or keep a part-time job outside of school hours. If you need this extra help because of your disability, we might be able to fund support to help you build skills to get a job. This might include things like working in a team, staying on task or learning to catch the bus or train.

Work experience as part of your school curriculum is the responsibility of your school. But if you need extra supports because of your disability to be able to do work experience, we may be able to help with that.

You might also have an opportunity to do a school based traineeship, where you combine school, study and work. We can’t fund supports that are the responsibility of your employer, school or traineeship provider. But if there are extra disability related supports you need, we might be able to fund those to help you successfully complete your traineeship.

Your Support Coordinator, Local Area Coordinator (LAC) or planner can give you more information about these supports. 

What are the things we don’t usually fund?

We usually don’t fund things like:

  • school fees
  • 1:1 school assistants
  • excursions
  • textbooks or standard
  • technology as required by your school
  • after school care programs
  • other things that everyone would need to pay for.


What if you’re finishing school (or just finished) and want to build your work skills?

Leaving school is a big step in your life. It’s important to think about your work goals during your last few years of school and as you get close to the end of school.

School Leaver Employment Supports can help you get ready for work when you leave school. They can give you the chance to test different types of work, learn how to follow work tasks or how to behave at work.

School Leaver Employment Supports might be right for you if:

  • you’re finishing school, or you recently finished school
  • you want to start working
  • you need to build your skills before you can start work.


School Leaver Employment Supports has more information on employment supports for when you leave school

We usually fund School Leaver Employment Supports if you:

  • need to build your job skills and gain practical experience before you are ready to look for work
  • are old enough to leave school or have already left school and are aged 22 or under (and haven’t got a job). There are different rules in each state or territory about when you can leave school.
  • If you’re over 22, learn more about what we can fund to help you find a job.


We fund School Leaver Employment Supports in the Capacity Building – Employment budget.

Source: What can we fund if you’re university or other training


We can consider funding the extra supports you need at university, TAFE, during an apprenticeship or other training because of your disability. The supports should allow you to go about your daily activities. This might include:

  • personal care supports while you’re at university or TAFE or undertaking approved placements
  • transport to and from university or TAFE, if you can’t drive or use public transport
  • training for university, TAFE or employers (during placements) about your support needs
  • support to take part in specific projects run by the university for people with disabilities.


We don’t fund supports your university or TAFE need to provide as a ‘reasonable adjustment’, or anything as part of usual teaching. We also don’t fund things everyone has to pay for themselves.

This means we don’t fund:

  • changes to the buildings to make sure you can access it, like ramps
  • changes to your learning materials to make sure it suits your needs
  • textbooks or general equipment you need for your education or training
    course fees.


You should talk to your Support Coordinator, LAC or planner about help available in your local area. There are lots of different support programs available and many universities have mentors and other help to support students with disability.